Several 2.0.6 questions

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Wed Nov 8 13:35:17 GMT 2000

Mike Edmunds wrote:

> 1) Logging in via an NT4.0 machine, samba creates
> and updates /home/mike/profile with all the Windows
> goodies (Desktop, Cookies, etc.). This is what I expected. When
> I log in via a Windows 9x machine, it writes all the
> Windows goodies directly in my home directory and ignores
> the existance of the profile directory. What would cause this?
> It did not do this under 2.0.5a at my house. Would it be
> better to do a separate share (e.g., \\alfred\profile\%U)
> for everyone's profiles?

There were some bug fixes in someimte around then.  Windows 9x
ignores the logon path parameter.  You can diddle with the registry
to hard code another path.

> 2) My users tell me that file locking doesn't seen to work
> in the same fashion as it did before we decided to use Samba
> as a domain controller. MS Word seems to hang for a
> bit, essentially locking the machine, until you get a message
> about the file being in use. Could this be related to
> us changing from a Workgroup scheme to an NT Domain scheme?

More information.  From NT clients?  From Win9x clients?  Have
you looked at debug logs during the pause?

> 3) Previously under the Workgroup scheme, the NT boxes could
> see shares on the 9x machines. Now, under the NT Domain
> controller scheme, access is denied. Is this somehow related to
> the 9x machines not really being in the domain (no trust
> accounts in the smbpasswd file)? Is there anything I can do
> to fix this as it is fairly important that the NT users see
> the 9x user's shares?

More information.  Do you mean NT users are not able to access
share level WIndows 9x file servers?

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org