What user on what computer?

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Tue May 30 10:54:44 GMT 2000

Re:

> Date:   Tue, 30 May 2000 07:57:17 +0200
> From:   "Ludwig Meyerhoff" <ludwig at antar.com>
> To:     samba at samba.org
> Subject: What user on what computer?
>
> Hallo!
>
> I found a quite usefull hint about email-notification using samba by
> simply writing a Mailslot-message-command into the users .forward-file.
> That is quite nice, but there is a small problem: While the username is
> still the same, so does not the computername.  People can log on every
> computer in a network, so the computername varies.  I am looking for a
> method to run a script - on the server side (!!) at each logon and
> logoff of an user, so a user-database can be maintained.  I could write
> a script getting the computer a user logged in out of that
> database/table.
>
> How could I solve that problem?

It is not quite clear from your message what you are trying to achieve,
because if what you want is UNIX utmp support, then you don't need a
script.

Anyway, two possibilities for you to explore:

1. At Samba 2.0.7 there is new, experimental, support for UNIX "utmp"
   files.  Basically compile samba 2.0.7 "--with-utmp" and put "utmp=yes"
   into smb.conf for shares you wish to track.  But it is new, and there
   were a few problems at 2.0.7 (since fixed) on some versions of UNIX.

2. If you want to run a script, look at the "preexec" and "postexec"
   parameters (and maybe, with care, "root preexec" and "root postexec").

Hope that helps.

:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcl0tdl            South Road            :