Time Synchronisation

Chris Watt cnww at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue May 30 09:03:35 GMT 2000

At 05:46 PM 5/30/00 +1000, Mike.Molnar at sita.int wrote:

>Hi.  I'm running on a Windows 98 client and an  RS6000 with Samba 2.0.7
>(latest).
>
>I've used "net time \\ibrissde /SET /YES" to sync the times between the two
>systems ... but if I save a file onto the RS6000 through Samba on a mapped
drive
>the file in UNIX is 1 hour old.

Almost invariably this means that one of your machines has a timezone
configuration problem (and curse SMB for using local time instead of UTC).
Either one of them thinks it's an hour ahead (or behind) the other or one
thinks it's on daylight-savings time (some *ix OS's have a problem with
this I'm told). Usually this can be solved by playing with the
timezone/clock settings on one of your machines, failing that you can
always override it in smb.conf, to quote the man page:

       time offset (G)

              This parameter is a setting in minutes  to  add  to
              the  normal  GMT  to local time conversion. This is
              useful if you are serving a lot of  PCs  that  have
              incorrect daylight saving time handling.

              Default:      time offset = 0

              Example:      time offset = 60
--

Who is this General Failure, and why is he reading my hard disk?