[CUPS] cant see cups print queues via samba.

Bevan Broun bevanb at ee.uwa.edu.au
Mon May 15 08:42:38 GMT 2000

on Fri, May 12, 2000 at 05:10:49PM -0400, Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> wrote:
> Have you setup any access control on the printers?  That *might*
> cause the problems you are seeing.  Also, the format of the lpq
> output might be causing problems (I wish there was one definitive
> standard...)

FYI

It wasnt access control. I set "printing = lprng" in smb.conf and
piped cups lpq command thru this little filter to get a work around.

#! /usr/local/bin/perl
# cups2lprng-lpqfilter.pl            - filter cups lpq output to fit
# samba's expected output from lprng
while(<>){
    chop;
    ($rank,$pri,$owner,$job,$files,$total_size)=split(/\s+/,$_);
    print "$rank $owner $pri $job $files $total_size bytes\n";
}

> We submitted (too late...) patches for 2.0.7 that get rid of the
> external commands completely and implement everything using CUPS
> API calls internally.  From all the testing we did it seems to be
> 100% reliable and doesn't care where you install CUPS, either... :)

Im sure it will all be sorted out by 2.08 and cups-1.1 :-)

BB
--
Bevan Broun                                           ph (08) 9380 1587
Computer Systems Officer                             fax (08) 9380 1065