RPM upgrade question

Tom Diehl tdiehl at pil.net
Sun May 14 03:24:06 GMT 2000

On Mon, 8 May 2000, Lee Howard wrote:

> I upgraded my samba package on my RedHat 6.1 installation via RPM.  I used
> the samba-2.0.7-20000425.i386.rpm file.  I had to first uninstall the
> packages:
> samba-common-2.0.5a-12
> samba-client-2.0.5a-12
> because of package dependencies.  I'm guessing, then, that the
> samba-2.0.7-20000425 package includes the files that had been included
> separately with the common and client packages.  Is this correct?
> Everything seems to be working as properly as before.

I did the same thing. No problems here.

> Also, now when "/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start" is invoked, only:
>  [ O K ] smb services [ O K ]
> appears where before:
>  SMB services [ O K ]
>  NMB services [ O K ]
> both appeared.  What are the NMB services, and does the new smb services
> include them?

Mine still starts nmb. I forget what it is but it is in the docs.

> I updated the package because I am having trouble with multi-user
> Quickbooks 99 using a samba share to store the data files.  I get
> permission errors regardless of the permission settings.  I haven't tested
> it yet to see if the error continues with the new package, but does anybody
> know of this from experience?

Are you and I the only 2 people in the whole world that want to do this??
I just installed 2.0.7 a week or 2 ago and have not had the time to test
Quickbooks. If you get to it b4 I do please let me know what you find.

If we are trying to do the impossible would someone please tell us?

TIA,

......Tom			"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
tdiehl at pil.net			 for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

	 Unix IS user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.