RPM upgrade question

Lee Howard faxguy at deanox.com
Mon May 8 21:38:13 GMT 2000

I upgraded my samba package on my RedHat 6.1 installation via RPM.  I used
the samba-2.0.7-20000425.i386.rpm file.  I had to first uninstall the
packages:
samba-common-2.0.5a-12
samba-client-2.0.5a-12
because of package dependencies.  I'm guessing, then, that the
samba-2.0.7-20000425 package includes the files that had been included
separately with the common and client packages.  Is this correct?
Everything seems to be working as properly as before.

Also, now when "/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start" is invoked, only:
 [ O K ] smb services [ O K ]
appears where before:
 SMB services [ O K ]
 NMB services [ O K ]
both appeared.  What are the NMB services, and does the new smb services
include them?

I updated the package because I am having trouble with multi-user
Quickbooks 99 using a samba share to store the data files.  I get
permission errors regardless of the permission settings.  I haven't tested
it yet to see if the error continues with the new package, but does anybody
know of this from experience?

Thanks.

Lee Howard