can't connect to Linux box from Winnt4.0

Chris Mason chris at net.ai
Fri May 12 15:10:12 GMT 2000

I have two debian systems on my network. One has a Debian stable install
which allows me to share with no problems. I have a newer install which is
Debian frozen but I cannot browse shared  directories at all. I beleive the
smb.conf is the same on both boxes, I have messed with the permissions to no
avail. I'm fairly new to Samba but I have not had problems installing
before.

Here's the output from smbclient for the problem box - Linny:

Linny:~# smbclient -L Linny
added interface ip=192.168.0.8 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Domain=[OFFICE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.7]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        homes          Disk      Home Directories
        src            Disk      folder for software
        www            Disk      web pages
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Linny server (Samba 2.0.7))
        lp             Printer   Generic dot-matrix printer entry
        root           Disk      Home Directories

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        LINNY                Linny server (Samba 2.0.7)

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        OFFICE               FIREWALL

I don't know why box "Firewall" is master, I didn't want that. Each box
should be independent. I don't use a PDC on my network.

Chris Mason
Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463
USA Fax (561) 382-7771
Take a virtual tour of the island
http://net.ai/ The Anguilla Guide