abysmal performance with small files (2.0.6)

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Thu Mar 16 17:14:08 GMT 2000

Jonathan Rozes wrote:

> Server has 1280 files, 8192 bytes each, all in a single directory.
> Filenames are all lowercase and do not have any .3 extension (just
> lowercase letters and numbers in the names).
>
> With NT4 Server:
>
> Time to read directory via explorer: ~8 secs
> Time to copy file set to local disk: ~23 secs
>
> With Samba:
> Time to read directory via explorer: ~3 secs
> Time to copy file set to local disk: ~139 secs

[And playing with case preservation options had no effect]

And on Solaris 8, Samba 2.0.6, with identical fileset,
	Time to mget files to local disk: 56.27s
	Time to cp files on same disk: 50.30s

Looks like a Samba-vs-NTexplorer mismatch to me: can
you capture the packets with tcpdump-smb and continue
this discussion on the mailing-list?

--dave

Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com