Configuration Problems

Johnny L Wales johnny at booksys.com
Thu Mar 16 17:45:51 GMT 2000

Hello! I'm having a bit of a problem getting any shares working with
Samba. I began running through the tests listed in diagnosis.txt and
didn't get very far before I was unable to do anything else. Here's my
smb.conf file:

[global]
        workgroup = BOOKSYS.COM
        local master = No

[test]
        comment = Test for Samba
        path = /home/johnny
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

[backup]
        comment = Backup Files
        path = /newdrive/backups
        read only = Yes

Pretty simple, eh? Well, here's what I get when attempting to list the
shares: (IPs have been changed to protect the innocent)

[johnny at mail /etc]$ smbclient -L 192.168.10.1 -U johnny
added interface ip=192.168.10.1 bcast=192.168.10.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
added interface ip=x.x.x.x bcast=x.x.x.y
nmask=255.255.255.224
Password:
session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair
in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

My smbpasswd file -does- contain a user named johnny and I -am- sure that
I'm getting the password right. Is there anything in particular that would
cause this?

Oh, and /newdrive/backups looks a bit like this:

drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Mar 16 11:33 backups

Which looks like it should still be readable by samba. Any ideas?

--me