smbfs

Keith G. Murphy keithmur at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 26 01:15:27 GMT 2000

I am seeing a very strange and very inconsistent problem in smbfs.  It
happens while I am using smbmount, then afio, to back up some Win95
shares.

What I am seeing is errors like this in my logs:

Jan 25 02:54:07 myserver kernel: smb_receive: rcls=2, err=1
Jan 25 02:54:07 myserver kernel: smb_proc_readdir_long:
name=\dir1\subdir2\
subdir3\*, entries=0, rcls=2, err=1
Jan 25 02:54:07 myserver kernel: smb_refill_dircache: readdir failed,
result=-2
3

This is always the typical sequence.  What I find upon examining my
backup archive is that the directory involved will not have any files
backed up from it; i.e., it missed everything in subdir3.

The problem is sporadic and generally involves different machines and
directories; it's not readily reproducible.

It's pretty bad when the directory involved is 'C:\WINDOWS'.  =:-0
Though it does save tape.  :-b

I am running Debian Linux with kernel version 2.2.10, smbmount 2.0.6
(I'm using mount -t smbfs to mount the Win95 shares).  (I am right in
thinking that the old Win95 bug fix option for the kernel has gone away,
right?  Don't see it in 'make menuconfig').

Any ideas about what the problem is, how to solve it, or diagnose it?

--
Microsoft forced OEMs to ignore consumer demand for a browserless
version of Windows.

Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.
  -- Bill Gates