smbfs

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Wed Jan 26 07:50:27 GMT 2000

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Keith G. Murphy wrote:

> I am seeing a very strange and very inconsistent problem in smbfs.  It
> happens while I am using smbmount, then afio, to back up some Win95
> shares.

What is afio? Is it good? NT too?
(sorry for my ignorance, but I have only very recently taken an interest
in winX -> samba client backup solutions)

> The problem is sporadic and generally involves different machines and
> directories; it's not readily reproducible.

But if you retry it on the same dir without having changed the contents
does the problem repeat then?

> I am running Debian Linux with kernel version 2.2.10, smbmount 2.0.6

Tridge changed smbfs to use the same "infolevel" when talking to the
server as smbclient does, that fixed a problem that sounds similar to
yours (only not all files were skipped). It seemed to depend on the
total length of filenames, for certain combos the NT serving the share
would get confused (I think).

Was that in 2.2.12? Try upgrading to 2.2.14, or borrow the smbfs/*.c code
from 2.2.14 it might work in 2.2.10 too. (I'd upgrade the kernel, but if
you have a specific reason for not using 2.2.14/13 then ...)

> (I'm using mount -t smbfs to mount the Win95 shares).  (I am right in
> thinking that the old Win95 bug fix option for the kernel has gone away,
> right?  Don't see it in 'make menuconfig').

Yes.

/Urban