permissions

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Tue Feb 29 18:36:46 GMT 2000

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000 01:25:26 +1100, hai scritto:

>once again I have the same problem can anyone help , I have several share
>folders that I want everyone to be able to read write and delete and I have
>create mode set at 0750 in homes but thats not working, I can change
>permissions on the fly but want the client to be able to add a document and
>then have another user modify it . I am looking for something to enable this

You want to do this in a dir that is not the homedir of any user.

Say that user1, user2 and user3 share a common groupA group, then all
the users will be able to write/edit files created by the other 2 if:

A) setgid solution
chown root.groupA /path/top_shared_dir
chmod 2770 /path/top_shared_dir

in smb.conf:
create mask = 0660
directory mode = 2770
force create mode = 0660
force directory mode = 2770

B)
chown root.groupA /path/top_shared_dir
chmod 0770 /path/top_shared_dir

set in smb.conf:
force group = groupA
create mask = 0660
directory mode = 0770
force create mode = 0660
force directory mode = 0770

Solution A works for files created on the unix side too.

giulioo at pobox.com