SAmba and Slow Transfers

Randall Hand reh1 at ece.msstate.edu
Tue Feb 8 02:18:54 GMT 2000

I have a 10baseT network running between my Linux SAmba server and a few
Windows98 workstations.  For some strange reason, I can transfer 2 meg of
data between two windows machiens in less than 10 seconds, but to copy them
to or from my Samba machine can take 20 minutes.

I've been workin with this for weeks now to no avail.  When using FTP, I can
download from my linux box at around 250K/s, and upload to it at 15K/s.
Samba seems to use 15K/s both ways.   I can't figure out why my transfer
speeds are so slow.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.