domains & workgroups & multiple networks!?

Julian Richardson JRichardson at softwright.co.uk
Tue Feb 8 11:06:16 GMT 2000

Hi,

I've got a Linux box sitting here that connects to two networks - our
main work token ring network and a private ethernet segment with 4 test
machines connected. The Linux box is acting as a link between the two
networks only; it isn't doing any routing / NAT but just provides a
'shared' ftp area (it's also running other services for the private
ethernet - DNS, SMTP relay, test webserver & servlet engine etc.)

Now, I've got Samba running so that machines out on the token ring
network can access the filesystem on the Linux machine.

First question though -  I had to create an smbpasswd file for this on
the linux box; I'm sure when I originally played around with Samba a few
months back I didn't need any form of password file or anything on the
linux server I had then. Authentication was just done against the domain
controller out on the token ring network. Any ideas what I'm missing
here? I've got security set to 'domain' and a password server set up...
(I'm doing something stupid here, obviously!)

Next problem though is configuring the linux box so that the NT machines
on the private ethernet can also see the linux box using smb... I'm not
sure if this is even possible? The NT machines are in a workgroup and
there's no domain controller on the ethernet - so how could
authentication work in this case? Seems like I need to tell samba to do
one form of authentication against one network interface and another
againast the other one!! As a worst-case it'd be nice for machines on
the token ring to seamlessly connect to the linux box but maybe have the
NT machines on the ethernet prompt for a username / password when
connecting....

Thanks for any help,

Jules

ps. I'm using smb 2.0.3, which is probably ancient by now?? Suggestions
for solving the above problems by upgrading as it then makes it easy are
welcome! :*)