password validation

Sloane, Robert Raymond sloane at ukans.edu
Thu Dec 7 20:07:39 GMT 2000

Hi All,

I have successfully installed Samba 2.0.7 under TRU64 unix 4.0F
with C2 security.  With "security=user" I can correctly mount
shares using the unix password, and with "security=server" I can
successfully mount shares using the NT password.  In the
"security=server" section, the smb.conf man page says:

              In this mode Samba will try to validate  the  user-
              name/password  by passing it to another SMB server,
              such as an NT box. If this fails it will revert  to
              "security = user", but note that if encrypted pass-
              words have been negotiated then Samba cannot revert
              back  to  checking  the UNIX password file, it must
              have a valid smbpasswd file to check users against.
              See  the  documentation file in the docs/ directory
              ENCRYPTION.txt for details on how to set this up.

My problem is that when "security=server" is set, I can't mount
a share using the unix password, even though my client is set to
use plain text passwords, and the documentation says that smbd
should revert to "security=user".  Some debugging shows that
my client is sending plain text passwords when "security=user" but
is encrypting the passwords when "security=server".  How can I
configure samba so that it will NOT negotiate encrypted passwords
when "security=server" is set.  I have a box running Mandrake 7.0
and samba-2.0.6-1mdk.rpm that works exactly as I want it to, but I
can't seem to get the correct combination of compilation and
smb.conf options to get it working on TRU64.
--
Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
sloane at ukans.edu http://www.ukans.edu/home/sloane Phone:(785)864-0444