Remount question.

Jaime A Fournier jafour1 at us.ibm.com
Thu Dec 7 20:28:20 GMT 2000

We currently use SAMBA as an interface to a DFS cell.
We have clients running linux, and they use the smb interface to access the
DFS cell.
The default timeout is 25 hours before the mount is no longer valid. As DFS
has a credentials expiration of 26. So we use that to prevent users from
running out of credentials first.

The problem is that the end user on linux is launching many programs from
the smb mount space.
When the mount times out, the user is forced to kill the apps with a lock
on the mount, umount the directory, and then remount with smbmount.

What we are looking for is either to emulate windows behavior to
reauthenticate/remount occasionally, or just have it so that we can do a
remount, without killing the applications running from that space.
Hopefully to have little impact once the mount is back up.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Jaime Fournier
IBM Global Services
T/L 793-6838