NT Printer Document Defaults

Matt Kramer kramer at bu.edu
Wed Apr 12 16:24:19 GMT 2000

Hi!

We have a samba (AIX, samba 2.06) server setup here that receives jobs from
NT 4 workstations (various service packs, mostly 5 or 6).  We have several
printers defined, but for now let's just say we have 2 printers
defined:  HPSimplex and HPDuplex.  For HPSimplex we need to set the
document defaults page in NT to print only simplex jobs.  Likewise, for the
HPDuplex , we need the document defaults to be set to print out only in
duplex. The problem is as follows:

If the NT Default printer is set as HPSimplex (and we have set simplex as
the method of output in the document defaults and set HPDuplex document
defaults to print in duplex) and we open up any program to print to
HPDuplex it prints in simplex.  If we reverse the situation, the same
happens (i.e. have HPDuplex as the default printer with duplex printing
set, HPSimplex prints out as duplex).

We have tried monitoring the registry while changing the default document
settings to see what changes are made with little sucsess.  Although we can
see what keys are changed, we are not sure what specific key is not working
properly.  In fact, it appears that NT is functioning properly.  Does this
indicate that samba is the problem?  Does anyone know how to fix
this?  Does anyone know what the problem is?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.  Please reply directly to me
(mattkr at bu.edu) as I am not currently subscribed to the list.

Thank you for your time,

Matt Kramer
Boston University