HELP : Domain Administrator

Gerald BAI (NCS) zgbai at nie.edu.sg
Thu Sep 30 02:31:37 GMT 1999

Hi all,

I need help.

I read the following documentation on the Samba website :

4.3.1. How do I configure an account as a domain administrator?
This has changed in the latest version of the HEAD branch. The "domain admin
users" and "domain admin group" parameters have gone away. See the smb.conf
man page for information on
*	domain group map
*	domain user map
*	local group map
Here are some sample notes...
To put users in the "Domain Admins" group
*	Choose a suitable UNIX group, for example the group "adm". Add the
following parameter to smb.conf
       domain group map = /usr/local/samba/lib/domaingroup.map
*	Now create /usr/local/samba/lib/domaingroup.map and add. The quotes
are necessary for group names that include spaces.
       adm="Domain Admins"

I am running RedHat 6.0 and Samba2.0.3.  I have managed to make the Samba
server a PDC and make another NT server to log on to the domain by using
"root".  And from the NT server, I can run "USER MANAGER" to browse the
lists of users and groups on the Samba, but I realise that all users
(including root) do not have (Domain) Administrator access, and I cannot
make any modification in the USER MANAGER.

I added "domain group map = /etc/domaingroup.map" and "domain user map =
/etc/domainuser.map" and "local group map = /etc/localgroup.map" into
smb.conf, and created the files accordingly, but when I run "testparm" it
shows :

Load smb config files from /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
Unknown parameter encountered: "domain group map"
Unknown parameter encountered: "domain user map"
Unknown parameter encountered: "local group map"
Ignoring unknown parameter "domain group map"
Ignoring unknown parameter "domain user map"
Ignoring unknown parameter "local group map"
Loaded services file OK.

How come Samba doesn't recognize these global parameters?

Is there anything need be done?

Thanks

Gerald Bai Zhiguang
National Computer Systems Pte. Ltd.