smbsh segfault

tridge at linuxcare.com tridge at linuxcare.com
Tue Sep 28 23:54:33 GMT 1999

> Any chance we could ever see some *cooperation* between the smbfs people
> (person?) and the Samba people?

yes :)

I took over as maintainer of smbfs recently, so there is definately
some cooperation now! My problem has been lack of time to put into it.

I spent a couple of days rewriting smbmount from scratch for the 2.0.5
release of Samba and also fixed all the kernel bugs I knew of for the
2.2.10 kernel. Unfortunately I forgot to document the changes in
smbmount before the 2.0.5a release.

I just spent the last weekend working on more smbmount stuff, and I
have documented it ready for 2.0.6 (due soon). You can now mount smbfs
with ordinary mount like this:
     mount -t smb //fjall/data /data/foo -o username=tridge,password=foobar
You can also put smb in filesystems /etc/fstab. My next job is some
more kernel smbfs stuff.

> There seems to be some bitchiness, NIH syndrome, or something going
> on.

the big problem was that noone on the team actually used smbfs. When I
joined Linuxcare I volunteered to take it on. I still don't use it
much, but I do test it before releases.

>  The Samba FAQ even mentions smbfs as a "constant cause of
> complaint".

I'll fix that.

Cheers, Tridge