smbsh segfault

Keith G. Murphy keithmur at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 28 15:17:42 GMT 1999

Steve Litt wrote:

> At 01:16 AM 09/28/1999 +1000, Matthew Vanecek wrote:
> [clip]
> >smbsh is also supposed to allow similar
> >functionality to smbmount by opening a shell prompt on that share.  I
> >haven't been able to use smbsh, however, because it keeps segfaulting on
> >my Linux box. :/
> >HTH,
> >Matthew Vanecek
>
> The segfault is probably due to the smbsh/glibc-2.1 conflict reported at
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/FAQ/#47.
>
> Here's what it says:
>
> smbsh doesn't work with glibc-2.1 on Linux systems. That includes RedHat
> 6.0 and many other recent Linux distributions. It is very hard to fix this
> as the glibc maintainers have deliberately removed the necessary hooks for
> smbsh to work. They don't like the idea of user space filesystems.
>
> The only thing we can suggest right now is to use smbfs instead.

Any chance we could ever see some *cooperation* between the smbfs people
(person?) and the Samba people?  There seems to be some bitchiness, NIH
syndrome, or something going on.  The Samba FAQ even mentions smbfs as a
"constant cause of complaint".  This seems inappropriate, seeing as how
it works pretty well for most of us, and Samba doesn't really offer
anything comparable, far as I can tell.  As we have seen, smbsh ain't
there yet.  I also would much rather use a real file system than a shell
replacement, and I suspect others feel the same.

Sorry if I'm opening a can of worms, but it's a PITA (how's that for
mixed metaphors?).