guest question

Dave Wreski dave at nic.com
Fri Sep 24 00:52:23 GMT 1999

Hi all.  I'm trying to set up an NT/win98 print server, using the guest
account, but it still continues to prompt for a password.

I've set up the following in my /etc/smb.conf:

guest account = pcguest
[hp5000]
   comment = HP 5000 Printer
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes

I've tried various incantations of the above, to no avail.  I have created
the pcguest user, and there is no /etc/smbpasswd file at all.  The win98
box continues to ask me for \\print\$IPC password, and in log.hostname
file, it shows:

Couldn't find user 'dave' in smb_passwd file.

'dave' is my win98 username, which I use for another samba server on the
network.  I don't want to have to create a username for each user on the
network just to use this print server.

Is there a way around this?  The smb.conf man page seems to state it
shouldn't be prompting me for a password...

Thanks,
Dave