NT machines keep taking over my master browser

Paul Dwerryhouse paul at xenu.ee.mu.oz.au
Fri Sep 24 03:49:44 GMT 1999

Hi all,

I have a machine running Samba (2.0.5a/Solaris 7) which is supposed to be the
master browser from my domain. It's been running fine for a couple of weeks.

But today it seems that some of the NT workstations are overriding it in
elections and are becoming the master browsers (and the Samba server is
giving up).

I've SIGKILL'ed the nmbd processes, but after they wake up they then give
up being the master browser, also:

  Samba name server XXXXXXX has stopped being a local master browser for workgroup XX on subnet x.x.x.x

My config has:

	os level = 65
	protocol = NT1
	domain master = yes
	preferred master = yes
	local master = yes
	wins support = yes

Is there anyway I can force the machine to absolutely, positively be the
master browser and never, ever give it up? [I always thought the idea of
elections amongst computer equipment is pretty ridiculous].

Otherwise, does anyone have any idea what's going on?

TIA...

Paul.

--
"The growing use of e-mail, not to mention Web-page   |   Paul Dwerryhouse
publishing, threatens to reverse the trend towards    |_  paul at xenu.ee.mu.oz.au