Samba 2.05a - Numerous Issues

Barbara Bayley bbayley at systems.dhl.com
Mon Sep 20 18:51:08 GMT 1999

We have recently upgraded to Samba 2.05a on HPUX 10.20 and 11.0 from
version 1.9 & 2.0.  Since this upgrade, we have experienced the
following issues and problems:

1)	Lost connections to samba drives from Win95 pcs.
2)	Failure to authenticate mounted drives from NT machines.
3) 	Using smbstatus, getting "semaphores not started by root" errors
4) 	Several inexplicable error messages.

To expand:

1)	On several different Win95 PCs, connections have been dropped to
various samba drives; this has sometimes resulted in machines hanging
or
crashing.

2)	NT machines have failed to authenticate users, given passwords that
are identical to the ones used to log into the NIS domain.  Logging
out and logging in cures this problem in some cases.

3)	On HPUX 10.20 and 11.00, on some machines, running the smbstatus
command produces the following error:

Service      uid      gid      pid     machine

ERROR: root did not create the semaphore
ERROR: Failed to initialize share modes
Can't initialise shared memory - exiting

	In addition, the server is unreachable.

4)	Logging at level 0 produces the following error messages:

[1999/09/03 13:47:36, 0] lib/util_sock.c:(570)
  write_socket_data: write failure. Error = Broken pipe

This messages occurs 24 hours a day, at intervals varying between 3
minutes and 2 seconds.  There is no apparent correlation between the
intervals
and any usage patterns on the system.  Logging at levels up to 3 have
failed
to generate any other messages that relate to this, as far as we can
tell.

On one server, this message appeared after a user logged off, and then
repeated exactly every 6 minutes - there were no other users on the
system.

We also have been getting oplock timeout and other error messages.

Logging on an authentication server produces the following messages
for *some* logins:

[1999/09/03 08:22:08, 0] smbd/password.c:(550)
  Error: challenge not done for user=hscharno

According to the documentation, it appears that the challenge is part
of using the smbpassword option, but this is not entirely clear; we
are authenticating from NIS hosts.

Any help or clarification you could give us on these issues would be
greatly appreciated; at the moment we are preparing to roll back to
Samba 1.9, since these problems are making the environment
unacceptable to our users.
We have concerns about the Y2K-compliance about 1.9, so if this
version is
compliant, please let us know.

Thank you for your time.