semaphores and Solaris 7 8/99

Todd Pfaff pfaff at edge.cis.mcmaster.ca
Mon Oct 25 02:26:29 GMT 1999

jeremy allison posted a patch to deal with this issue back in july.  have
a look through the samba archives or see this dejanews article:

# You can view this message and the related discussion by following this link:
# http://www.deja.com/dnquery.xp?search=thread&svcclass=dnserver&recnum=%3c7nq44j$1h@dfw-ixnews3.ix.netcom.com%3e%231/1
# We hope to see you soon at Deja.com.

unfortunately, this patch has not always solved the problem for me.  it
seems to work on some solaris 7 systems and not others.  i have seen this
problem with various installation of solaris 7 (mostly 5/99) on both 32-
and 64-bit kernels.  i have never been able to pin down in which cases it
does or does not work.  i have even seen the case where samba is running
fine after a reboot but then exhibits this locking problem if i manually
stop and restart smbd sometime later.

in some cases, i have been able to eliminate the problem by reverting to
an older build of samba-2.0.5a made on a solaris 2.5 system, without the
aforementioned patch.

just out of curiosity, could you try some tests?

1) starting smbd and nmbd from an init script and reboot the ultra 10
2) apply the patch, rebuild and restart

did either of these help?  if (1), then try manually stopping and starting
smbd.  still ok?

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \