What is IPC$

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Oct 10 00:10:30 GMT 1999

Hi everyone.

Exactly what is IPC$ I know it's a share, I know it's intimately connected
with browsing. Judging from

 if (strequal("IPC$",lp_servicename(snum))) type = STYPE_IPC;

in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/samba-2.0.3/source/smbd/ipc.c and

#define STYPE_IPC       3       /* Interprocess communication (IPC) */
#define STYPE_HIDDEN    0x80000000 /* share is a hidden one (ends with $) */

in  /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/samba-2.0.3/source/include/smb.h, I'd imagine
it's a hidden interprocess communication share dealing with named pipes,
but that really doesn't help me understand its use in Samba. I've searched
all the docs and the samba.org website, and the last few weeks of the Samba
mailing list and  comp.protocols.smb, and none of it helped.

Could someone clue me in? Yes, I know it's a dumb question, but I don't
know the answer.

Thanks

Steve Litt