Office 2000 not working for some users

Matthew Vanecek mev0003 at unt.edu
Mon Nov 29 18:24:15 GMT 1999

John Ryan wrote:

> I've just upgraded our FreeBSD 3.3 machine from Samba 2.0.4 to Samba
> 2.0.6.  This machine validates logins etc and is serving Win98 and Win95
> clients.  What's happenned since the upgrade is that each user now has an
> "Application Data" folder in their directory.  This is obviously a windows
> system folder and seems to have something to do with profiles.
>
> I don't know if that's the cause of the problem, but a lot of users in the
> school cannot run Office 2000 applications anymore.  The machine reports
> that the product is not fully installed.  It's not the Win98 machine's
> fault, because some users can run Office 2000 on these machines.

"Application Data" is indeed a MS oddity.  It exists on NT, and with
Office 2000 on Windows, as well, I guess.  Upgrading your Samba would in
no wise affect this, and wouldn't create it.  Did you "upgrade" to
Office 2000 after or before upgrading Samba, and how did you deploy
Office 2000 to the network?

Office 2000 is a tricky beast at best, especially over the network.
Supposing your samba configuration stayed the same, I would look at how
you installed Office 2000 to the net, and make sure that users' machines
still have the same resources available now as they did before the samba
upgrade.
--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis