username map

don_mccall at hp.com don_mccall at hp.com
Tue Nov 23 19:51:48 GMT 1999

wlin wrote:
"I am trying to create a share for windows 98/NT users to browse without
creating unix password. I am able to join nt domain without problem.  In
the usermap, I put:

nobody = *

to map everybody to nobody. But it's still asking for password. What's
the proper way to setup a browse location for windows users without the
hassle of adding each individual to the password files?"

Frequently the user 'nobody' in the unix /etc/passwd file is set to the uid -2;
smbd may be  unable to set effective uid to a negative user on a particular
instance of u*ix, so it fails (in the debug:

[1999/11/23 10:48:54, 0] smbd/uid.c:(67)
  Couldn't set effective uid to -2. Currently set to (real=0,eff=0). Error was I
nvalid argument
[1999/11/23 10:48:54, 0] smbd/service.c:(463)
  Can't become connected user!

Try using a different user than 'nobody' as the guest account, OR change the
uid of 'nobody' to a positive uid, if you see in your debug file that this is
happening...  once I addressed this, keithmur at mindspring.com's map to guest tip
works just fine.

Don