file permissions and smbmount

Brian Servis servis at purdue.edu
Thu Nov 18 00:30:49 GMT 1999

*- On 18 Nov, Mader, Cary J wrote about "RE: file permissions and smbmount"
> I don't want to sound stupid, but I probably will anyways, so....
>
> what fmask and dmask options?  Where/how are they used, i.e.
> what is the syntax?
>
> Also, what is the syntax now for setting user and group id's?
>
> And...where is this stuff documented...I've never seen it in the
> man pages or other documentation.

% mount.smbfs
Usage: mount.smbfs service mountpoint [-o options,...]
Version 2.0.6

      username=<arg>                  SMB username
      password=<arg>                  SMB password
      netbiosname=<arg>               source NetBIOS name
      uid=<arg>                       mount uid or username
      gid=<arg>                       mount gid or groupname
      port=<arg>                      remote SMB port number
      fmask=<arg>                     file umask
      dmask=<arg>                     directory umask
      debug=<arg>                     debug level
      ip=<arg>                        destination host or IP address
      workgroup=<arg>                 workgroup on destination
      sockopt=<arg>                   TCP socket options
      scope=<arg>                     NetBIOS scope
      guest                           don't prompt for a password
      ro                              mount read-only
      rw                              mount read-write

This command is designed to be run from within /bin/mount by giving
the option '-t smbfs'. For example:
  mount -t smbfs -o username=tridge,password=foobar //fjall/test /data/test

--
Brian Servis