Samba, Clearcase, and multiple credentials

Johan Meiring jjm at iname.com
Wed Nov 17 23:50:23 GMT 1999

Hi Frank,

The restriction to only connect as one user to a spesific machine (SMB
server) is a _CLIENT_ restriction.

This can be proven in an NT only (and I assume with SAMBA as well, sorry I
don't have a samba server to test against :-( ) scenario.

Steps:
------

-  Open a command promp
-  net use \\SERVERNETBIOSNAME\share /USER:DOMAIN\userA
-  Enter userA password
-  net use \\server.ip.address\share /USER:DOMAIN\userB
-  Enter userB password

You are now connected to the same SMB server as two different users.  The
_CLIENT_ thinks it is two different machines because you referred to the
same machine using two different names.

Not that on Win9x this is not possible, as Win9x will only ever supply the
username that was used to "log in" to Win9x

Hope this helps

Johan