browsing network neighborhood

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Sat Nov 13 10:43:39 GMT 1999

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999 21:04:08 +1100, hai scritto:

In your mail samba is never mentioned, so what's your problem with
samba?

>have shared. On my windows 98 computer i have enabled WINS resolution, and
>specified the WINS server. With this i can use the windows 98 'Find
>Computer' to locate a computer and download their shared files. This is good

Have you set up the same workgroup? What does the "path column" says
after "find computer" shows the computer?

Does linux masq all packets going outside your "private" net? If so then
look at http://malt-whisky.student.utwente.nl/nbfw/background.html

Basically you need to be sure the master browser of your net knows where
the wins server is, in order to sync its browse list with the domain
master browser and vice-versa.

If you usa samba on the linux box, and all of the above doesn't work,
then try setting samba as both master browser and domain master browser.

giulioo at tiscalinet.it