Win clients on other subnets

Paul L. Lussier plussier at ne.arris-i.com
Tue Nov 2 15:07:01 GMT 1999

In a message dated: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 01:43:53 +1100
Olof Liungman said:

>Hello!
>
>I have Samba 2.0.0 installed on an UltraSPARC server (Solaris 2.6, NIS). I
>only use Samba for file and printer sharing (I have about 15 Win-clients).
>My smb.conf is minimal. Everything works fine.
>
>Now I want 5 more Win98-clients to use the Samba shares. However, these are
>on a different subnet. When I try 'net view \\myserver' on one of these
>boxes I get:

Try setting up the Samba server as a WINS server and having the Win clients
register with the Samba WINS server.  Everything should work that way.

I don't remember the smb.conf directives, but you can find them in the man
page.  Look for something like "wins server" and "master browser" and set them
to 'yes' or 'true'.  Make sure that you don't have any other master browsers
or wins servers though.
--

Seeya,
Paul