Win clients on other subnets

Olof Liungman olli at oce.gu.se
Tue Nov 2 14:45:54 GMT 1999

Hello!

I have Samba 2.0.0 installed on an UltraSPARC server (Solaris 2.6, NIS). I only
use Samba for file and printer sharing (I have about 15 Win-clients). My
smb.conf is minimal. Everything works fine.

Now I want 5 more Win98-clients to use the Samba shares. However, these are on a
different subnet. When I try 'net view \\myserver' on one of these boxes I get:

Error 51: The specified computer is not receiving requests.

(Note that there is apparently another box around called
myserver.topdomain.country, whereas my Samba server is
myserver.subdomain.topdomain.country. Is this a problem?)

Going through the diagnostics test, No. 5 fails:

myserver# nmblookup -B xxx.yyy.zzz.0 -d 2 '*'
Added interface ip=xxx.yyy.www.qqq bcast=xxx.yyy.255.255 nmask=255.255.0.0
Sending queries to xxx.yyy.zzz.0
name_query failed to find name *

xxx.yyy.www.qqq is the IP-address of the Samba server myserver and xxx.yyy.zzz
is the other subnet on which the new machines are located. I don't really
understand subnets and interfaces, so I am not sure if anything is wrong, or if
it's just me being stupid. I have added the new boxes, as a NIS netgroup, to the
'allow hosts' parameter. There is a Novell server in use on the other subnet.
Can anyone give me some directions?

TIA,

Olof

PS. Be gentle, I'm only the sysadmin because I was the only one at my department
who knew what 'grep' was for...