Parallel printer error

Darrell Wright Darrell.Wright at ci.okc.ok.us
Fri May 14 17:45:27 GMT 1999

Hello folks:

The introduction:
Great product this Samba!

The problem:
I am trying to migrate an HP LaserJet 4 printer in our office off a VMS system
and hang it directly off the back of a UNIX machine. I have created the new
entry in the printcap (see below) file on that machine and can print from UNIX -
no problem. I created the share in Samba with what I think works pretty well
(see below). The problem is every time I send a job to the printer from the PC,
I get a "22 Par IO Error" on the printer control panel. If I leave the printer
alone and let it handle the problem (i.e. don't cancel the error or job), the
print job comes out OK. Jobs from UNIX print without this error. My question is,
is my file getting corrupted as it comes through Samba, or is this a UNIX system
problem and do I need to look elsewhere?
I hope this is enough information. And thanks for any help.

The environment:
Server:  Digital AlphaStation 400/233
         Digital UNIX V4.0B
         Samba 2.0.3
Clients: Windows NT 4.0
         Windows 95
Printer: HP LaserJet 4 Plus (through parallel port /dev/lp0)

The printcap entry:
lp10|10|laser4:\
        :if=/usr/lbin/hplaserof:\
        :of=/usr/lbin/hplaserof:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd/laser4err:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lp10:\
        :mx#0:pl#66:pw#80:\
        :xf=/usr/lbin/xf:

The smb.conf entry:
[gis9hp4p]
  comment = LaserJet4 on galois
  path = /eu_data2/samba/var/spool/laserjet
  printer name = laser4
  printer driver = HP LaserJet 4 Plus
; guest account = printguest
  username = %M
  read only = yes
  printable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  create mask = 0777
  print command = /usr/bin/lpr -Plaser4 -r -s %s
  printing = sysv

--
Darrell Wright - Programmer/Analyst
City of Oklahoma City