Parallel printer error

Michal Jezierski heja at xox.pl
Tue May 18 12:11:27 GMT 1999

Darrell Wright wrote:

> The problem:
> I am trying to migrate an HP LaserJet 4 printer in our office off a VMS system
> and hang it directly off the back of a UNIX machine. I have created the new
> entry in the printcap (see below) file on that machine and can print from UNIX -
> no problem. I created the share in Samba with what I think works pretty well
> (see below). The problem is every time I send a job to the printer from the PC,
> I get a "22 Par IO Error" on the printer control panel. If I leave the printer
> alone and let it handle the problem (i.e. don't cancel the error or job), the
> print job comes out OK. Jobs from UNIX print without this error. My question is,
> is my file getting corrupted as it comes through Samba, or is this a UNIX system
> problem and do I need to look elsewhere?
> I hope this is enough information. And thanks for any help.
>
> The environment:
> Server:  Digital AlphaStation 400/233
>          Digital UNIX V4.0B
>          Samba 2.0.3
> Clients: Windows NT 4.0
>          Windows 95
> Printer: HP LaserJet 4 Plus (through parallel port /dev/lp0)
>
> The printcap entry:
> lp10|10|laser4:\
>         :if=/usr/lbin/hplaserof:\
>         :of=/usr/lbin/hplaserof:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lpd/laser4err:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp0:\
>         :sd=/usr/spool/lp10:\
>         :mx#0:pl#66:pw#80:\
>         :xf=/usr/lbin/xf:
>
> The smb.conf entry:
> [gis9hp4p]
>   comment = LaserJet4 on galois
>   path = /eu_data2/samba/var/spool/laserjet
>   printer name = laser4
>   printer driver = HP LaserJet 4 Plus
> ; guest account = printguest
>   username = %M
>   read only = yes
>   printable = yes
>   guest ok = yes
>   create mask = 0777
>   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -Plaser4 -r -s %s
>   printing = sysv

I don't know whether this is of any help, but we at the company have HP
LaserJet III and, for some clients we have to 'kick' it by pressing
Continue button because some clients (though identically configured)
send Letter format instead of A4.
By the way: have you tried playing with printing option?

Regards

Michal