Problem mapping drive names on Win95 again

Fred Viles fv at epitools.com
Thu May 13 03:37:32 GMT 1999

On 12 May 99, at 17:00, Wolfgang Albrecht wrote about
    "Problem mapping drive names on Win9":

| >> Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 16:50:55 -0400
| >> From: Wolfgang Albrecht <Wolfgang_Albrecht at compuserve.com>
| >> To: Samba <Samba at Samba.org>
| >> Subject: Problem mapping drive names on Win95
| >>
| >> in my Office, I'm trying to replace a Novell-server by a Linux-server.
| On
| >> the Novell-server, there is the SYS: volume. On this volume is a
| directory
| >> named DriveT. I did a map on it, so this SYS:DriveT was used as T: . If
| >> you link Excel sheets, which are stored on T:, to Word documents, Word
| >> unfortunately saves the UNC path, which is \\SERVER1\SYS\DRIVET instead
| of
| >> T:
| >>
| >> On my new Samba server, I`m trying to keep the same paths, because
| >> there are many hundred Word documents with thousands of links to Excel
| >> sheets. So I named the Linux server SERVER1, I created directory /SYS
| and
| >> a directory DriveT in SYS. In this way, the UNC path is still the same.
| Thank you for your letter, but this is not exactly the problem I ment.
| I know how to make shares named:
|
| \\Server1\SYS and
| \\Server1\DriveT
|
| I don't know how to make a share named
|
| \\Server1\SYS\DriveT
|
| I would like to map this to T: to achieve compatibility to my old
| Novell server.

SMB doesn't support the concept of mapping a subdirectory on a share
to a drive letter.  So you can't create a single share that will let
you do what you want: have a directory with a UNC of
\\server1\sys\drivet, and also be mapped as T:\.

The solution is to create *two* shares, one named "sys" with path
"/sys", and one named "drivet" with path "/sys/drivet".  Then map the
"drivet" share to T: so your Excel links work, and the unmapped "sys"
share will allow your UNC links to work.

- Fred Viles <mailto:fv at epitools.com>