Problem mapping drive names on Win95 again

Wolfgang Albrecht Wolfgang_Albrecht at compuserve.com
Wed May 12 06:57:03 GMT 1999

>> Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 16:50:55 -0400
>> From: Wolfgang Albrecht <Wolfgang_Albrecht at compuserve.com>
>> To: Samba <Samba at Samba.org>
>> Subject: Problem mapping drive names on Win95
>>
>> in my Office, I'm trying to replace a Novell-server by a Linux-server.
On
>> the Novell-server, there is the SYS: volume. On this volume is a
directory
>> named DriveT. I did a map on it, so this SYS:DriveT was used as T: . If
>> you link Excel sheets, which are stored on T:, to Word documents, Word
>> unfortunately saves the UNC path, which is \\SERVER1\SYS\DRIVET instead
of
>> T:
>>
>> On my new Samba server, I`m trying to keep the same paths, because
>> there are many hundred Word documents with thousands of links to Excel
>> sheets. So I named the Linux server SERVER1, I created directory /SYS
and
>> a directory DriveT in SYS. In this way, the UNC path is still the same.

>This is the mistake. Create a directory and call it /DILBERT
>
>in your smb.conf have the section
>
>[SYS]
>comment = shared folder on Server1
>path = /DILBERT
>browseable = yes
>writable = yes
>public = yes
>
>Then from Windoze Network Neighborhood you will see
>\\SERVER1\SYS
>
>Then from Network Neighborhood, you can right click on this folder
>and Map Network Drive to T:
>
>cheers,

Thank you for your letter, but this is not exactly the problem I ment.
I know how to make shares named:

\\Server1\SYS and
\\Server1\DriveT

I don't know how to make a share named

\\Server1\SYS\DriveT

I would like to map this to T: to achieve compatibility to my old
Novell server.

Thank you in advance,

Wolfgang_Albrecht at Compuserve.com