Big problem 2.0.3 and M$ Office shares

Massimo massimo.lambertini at everex.it
Wed May 12 09:25:15 GMT 1999

Hi at all .

I have a big problem .

I'he upgrade my Server from ( Linux 2.0.36 and Samba 1.19 ) to
Linux 2.2.7 and Samba 2.0.3 ( redhat 6.0 ).

I have used the same smb.conf but the systen do not work the same .

I have a linux directory shared by 10 users with M$ Office 97 .

With Old System ( Samba 1.19) when i open a file from one client if i
try to open from an other i have a Exxcel Message that say " this file
is in use
you can open in read only mode ".

With new system (Samba 2.0.3 ) when i open a file from a cliente , if i
try to open from other client i have a Exxxcel Message that say
"you have not read/write access to file " .

I use the same uid and guid in directory attrybute , and the only way
to view something is to disable  OPLOCKS ( oplocks = false in smb.conf )

,
then i can open a file in R/W in all Client but when i try to save the
file ,
I have a deadlock and i must close that file in all' client .

Why  ?

The configuration is standard like this :

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN ()
# Date: 1999/05/09 13:43:02

# Global parameters
        netbios name = SERVER
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba
        name resolve order = wins host bcast lmhosts
        lpq cache time = 30
        read prediction = Yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096
SO_RCVBUF=4069
        load printers = No
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        os level = 250
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins proxy = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        comment = Server Linux
        printing = bsd
        debug level = 1
        locking = Yes
        getwd cache = Yes
        ole locking compatibility = yes
>>>        oplocks =
No                                                     I must set this
if i can read a file from 2 station
        share modes = Yes
        fake oplocks = No
        strict Locking = Yes

[IPC$]
        comment = IPC Service (File Server LINUX)
        path = /tmp
        status = No

[homes]
        comment = Home Directory
        create mask = 0700
        browseable = No

[users]
        comment = Directory Pubblica
        write ok = yes
        path = /home/samba
        valid users = @users
        write list = @users
        create mode = 0770
        force create mode = 0770
        directory mode = 0770
        force directory mode = 0770
        force group = users
        wide links = No

Commet the directory /home/root is    uid/guid    root:users    with
attribute 0770

Thank you very much , i hope someone can solve this trouble because is
very strange ,
it seams that the samba 2.0.3 do not respect ( M$ Office ) Sharer mode .

Please if you reply send a email also direct to my mailbox.

Massimo Lambertini Webmaster of www.everex.it
massimo.lambertini at everex.it