Couple of Samba questions.

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Wed May 12 16:33:40 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Steve Mertz <stevem at kwantlen.bc.ca>
carved some runes like this:

> 1) Has anyone got it working with Windows 2000?  If so what is the edit
>    for the registry?

Wouldn't touch it with the proverbial 10 foot pole.  I take it the
appropriate reg keys are different than win98?

> 2) Why, when you create a 'valid user' list does the ability to browse
>    the shares via NetHood.

If I get your meaning, that's the way it's supposed to work.  A
valid user list will make it so only those users can "see" the
designated share(s) when browsing.  However, any user can find the
share if they know the name.  Setting browsable=no will make that
share "invisible" to all users (ie, it won't show in the browse
list), but they can still attach if they know the share name.
Using a write list on a share will let all users "see" the share,
but only those designated will have write access.

> 3) Is there away to seperate the directory shares from the printer shares
>    so that they don't end up all bungled together?  Would this require
>    running two samba servers on the unix box.  One for directories and one
>    for the printers? or is there an easier/better way?

The only way I can think of is to use a naming convention that puts
the printer shares at the end (shares are typically shown in sorted
alphabetical order).  Does that help?