Using smbpasswd, was (Re: Generating encrypted smbpasswd file)

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Thu May 6 18:19:40 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Carey F. Cox carved some runes like this
(describing failed smbpasswd changes):

> I am using a non-standard path for the smbpasswd file, but I give
> that path in the smb.conf file (see below). Just to make sure that
> wasn't the problem, I put it back in /etc, but got the same results.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but PAM is integral to the
redhat setup (as far as authentication, password changing, etc).
Make sure your PAM configuration is correct (there have been PAM
related posts in the past).  Also, there could be something in the
kernel source or samba source setup that's slightly amiss (I
haven't had the chance to play with either yet).

I don't use encrypted passwords here at work, but I have them
configured at home (mostly stock redhat 5.2 - custom kernel 2.0.36,
samba 1.9.18p10 compiled from source, redhat updates, and SRP with
EPS).  Samba is integrated with PAM, but SRP is not yet using PAM.

However, I won't be able to test anything at home until I finish my
hardware upgrades and network cable runs, etc.

I've also seen people who had to modify the password chat line to
get the behavior they wanted.  I'd search the samba archives for
password chat and PAM stuff.

I'll let you know if I find anything relevant.  I know there are
people out there who could chime in on this one...

Steve