Linux seen as Win NT 4.2 Backup ( SAMBA digest 2080 )

Per Kofod per at copen.sgi.com
Thu May 6 08:27:52 GMT 1999

Take a look at the smb.conf manpage ( announce as and announce version
):

          announce as (G)

               This specifies what type of server nmbd will announce
               itself as, to a network neighborhood browse list. By
               default this is set to Windows NT. The valid options
               are : "NT", which is a synonym for "NT Server", "NT
               Server", "NT Workstation", "Win95" or "WfW" meaning
               Windows NT Server, Windows NT Workstation, Windows 95
               and Windows for Workgroups respectively. Do not change
               this parameter unless you have a specific need to stop
               Samba appearing as an NT server as this may prevent
               Samba servers from participating as browser servers
               correctly.

               Default:       announce as = NT Server

               Example      announce as = Win95

         announce version (G)

               This specifies the major and minor version numbers that
               nmbd will use when announcing itself as a server. The
               default is 4.2.  Do not change this parameter unless
               you have a specific need to set a Samba server to be a
               downlevel server.

               Default:       announce version = 4.2

               Example:       announce version = 2.0

--
Regards Per                                               \|/
                                                         (o *)