HP8100 & samba

Jack E. Wilkinson jackw at siara.com
Wed Jun 30 17:06:48 GMT 1999

just having finished this *MOST* frustrating exercise, here's what i
ended up doing.

i downloaded a file from the hp ftp site called:

hpwj_solaris_en.tar.Z

(see
http://whp-web1.extweb.hp.com/cposupport/networking/software/SOLd615.PKG.html
)

this is a complete configuration setup utility that configures your
solaris machine to serve the printer.  and then you point samba to the
solaris server.  more information in:

http://whp-web1.extweb.hp.com/cposupport/networking/support_doc/bpj02589.html

http://whp-web1.extweb.hp.com/cposupport/networking/support_doc/bpj02835.html

here's a relevant chunk of my smb.conf file.  note that we drive both
printers (the 5si MX & the 8100DN) as 5siMX printers so our user
community won't have to worry about different drivers.

[hplaser_2]
  comment = HP LaserJet 5 Si MX
  printer name = hplaser_2
  path = /var/samba/tmp
  browsable = yes
  printable = yes
  public = yes
  writable = no
  create mode = 700
  printer driver = HP LaserJet 5si MX

[hplaser_3]
  comment = HP LaserJet 8100 DN
  printer name = hplaser_3
  path = /var/samba/tmp
  browsable = yes
  printable = yes
  public = yes
  writable = no
  create mode = 700
  printer driver = HP LaserJet 5si MX

[hplaser]
  comment = Next available printer
  printer name = hplaser
  path = /var/samba/tmp
  browsable = yes
  printable = yes
  public = yes
  writable = no
  create mode = 700
  printer driver = HP LaserJet 5si MX

the "hplaser" printer points to a printer class that contains the
hplaser_2 and hplaser_3 so that sending a job to hplaser causes it to go
to the next available printer.  (this is configured under solaris using
lpadmin.)

i never did manage to get any useful result from pointing samba directly
to the printer.

--
jackw at siara.com is Jack Wilkinson, Systems Administrator -- 650-567-6326