SMBSH vs CIFS/SMB FS type

Sami Cokar scokar at gmacalgary.com
Thu Jul 8 19:12:03 GMT 1999

Hello,

you are saying we can't do:

  win server -> CIFS share -> unix mount point

when we can do:

  unix FileSystem -> A -> export via CIFS -> win client

where A translates from a native Unix FS to CIFS and by its nature is very
platform dependant yet it ( samba ) can be portable?

or is it more difficult to do?

To me, a SMB/CIFS file type for unix seems to be a more 'native' unix style
solution for file systems.

In my situation, & I beleive a few others, Linux isn't the solution being
used.

Thanx for the feedback.

Sami Cokar, B.Sc. MCSE       scokar at gmacalgary.com
GMA International Ltd        V: (403)-261-4025  F: (403)-263-6493