NT Wkst auto printer driver installation

Daniel Morrison daniel at ece.concordia.ca
Wed Jul 7 23:45:28 GMT 1999

Hello all,

Please forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I haven't seen it explicitly in
any of the docs (although I find the Samba documentation EXTREMELY
confusing and complex, so I may have missed it).

Essentially, I have been able to follow the instructions in
'PRINTER_DRIVER.txt', and Win9x clients can install printer drivers for
Samba shared printers instantly and easily.  However I can't do this for
NT.

I did see the disclaimer that "This ONLY works with Windows 95 - It does NOT
work with Windows NT 4".

So is there any other procedure I can follow?  I've tried to figure out
where NT is looking before it says "The Server on Which the Printer
Resides Does Not Have a Suitable Printer Driver Installed", by increasing
smbd debugging, but it doesn't help (me) much.

I know drivers are supposed to be stored in
"%SystemRoot%\System32\Spool\Drivers (and subfolders)" from Microsoft's
help doc (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q180/5/45.asp).

Shouldn't it be possible to make share that mimics the NT server's
printer driver share?

Thanks for any help.

Relavant parts of my smb.conf (which works great for Win9x clients):

[global]
      security = server
      password server = hobbes
      load printers = no
      printcap name = /var/lprng/printcap
      printing = lprng
      path = /var/spool/samba-print
      printer driver file = /var/samba/printer/printers.def

[printer$]
      path = /var/samba/printer
      public = yes
      writable = no
      browseable = yes

[sphinx]
      writeable = no
      printable = yes
      printer = sphinx
      comment = HP LaserJet 4000TN in H-927
      printer driver = HP LaserJet 4000 Series PS
      printer driver location=\\%h\printer$\4000
      public = no

-D.

Daniel Morrison         \   Senior Unix Systems Administrator
daniel at ece.concordia.ca  \    Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
                         /   Concordia University, Montreal