Advice on accessing CD changer disks via Samba

Duane Davis duane.davis at aeris.net
Wed Jul 7 14:26:35 GMT 1999

Stephen L Arnold wrote:

> On 7 Jul 99, "Steve Snyder" <swsnyder at home.com> had questions about
> Advice on accessing CD changer disks via Samba:
>
> [snip]
> > 0. I'd prefer not to call the shares CDROM0, CDROM1, etc.  Is
> > there any way to automatically make a volume label a share name?
>
> You must be a C dude, huh?
>
> I've got a couple NEC changer drives I've used with linux and
> windoze, but I've never shared one with samba (I've got plenty of
> spare 2x drives lying around if anyone wants one...).
>
> The above drives don't work in linux the way they do in windoze;
> you can forget the whole "multiple drive letters for one drive"
> thing.  The windoze changer driver only works that way, whereas the
> NEC driver lets you see it as one drive if you want.  Then you
> switch slots with a little system tray widget.  This is exactly how
> these drives work with linux.  It defaults to the first slot, then
> you use the eject command (see man eject) to switch slots.  Eject
> will not work if the drive is mounted, so your script will have to
> do something like this:

I have a 7 CD changer that I had working with FreeBSD at one time.
I had to make a slight modification to the kernel to get it to probe
all the LUNs and then was able to mount each LUN seperately.

I don't recomend sharing a changer on a network though. They're too slow
when more than one user is trying to access it. As cheap as drives
are nowdays it's better to use individual drives.

The changer is now on my Windows machine and is not shared on the
network.
It's also powered down most of the time because windows insists on
looking at every platter all the time. More of a hassle than it's worth.

Duane