smbd chewing cpu on DU 4.0e

Rob Naccarato rob.naccarato at sheridanc.on.ca
Wed Jan 13 16:40:20 GMT 1999

I'm still having some problems with 1.9.18p10 on a DEC Unix 4.0e
machine (this machine was upgraded from 4.0d last week).  The smbds can
take up to 20% of the cpu at various times.

Anyways, I've been through all this before with the mailing list and a
number of people who have attempted to help me out.  Thanks to all of you.
But, I have some more info which may or may not be useful.

Today I decided to try a debug level = 99 and see what happens.
In most of the log files (per machine) I get a lot of entries like this:

is_in_path: .
is_in_path: no name list.
is_in_path: ..
is_in_path: no name list.
is_in_path: Start Menu
is_in_path: no name list.
is_in_path: USER.DA0
is_in_path: no name list.
is_in_path: Desktop
is_in_path: no name list.
is_in_path: Nethood
is_in_path: no name list.
is_in_path: Recent
is_in_path: no name list.
is_in_path: USER.DAT
is_in_path: no name list.
is_in_path: prof.dat
is_in_path: no name list.
is_in_path: Favorites
is_in_path: no name list.
is_in_path: corel8
is_in_path: no name list.

This goes on and on and it does repeat a number of times throughout the
log. I ran with debug level =99 for only about 3 minutes. I have looked at
the source and I can't exactly figure out what's going on here.

Could this be the cause of my cpu woes?

BTW, there was an issue a while ago on the list regarding an "infinite"
loop problem on DEC Unix when Samba is trying to figure out a user's group
membership.  Has this been addressed?  Are there patches available?

Looking forward to 2.0.0...

Rob Naccarato           "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages
Sys Admin               because they know they can be impolite without
Sheridan College        having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Oakville, Ont. Canada                      - Robert E. Howard