Slow initial response on idle share

Kenneth Porter shiva at well.com
Wed Feb 24 19:50:10 GMT 1999

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 10:04:13 +0100 (CET), Robert Dahlem wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:52:07 +1100, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>
>>I've noticed that when a mapped drive is left idle for awhile (OS/2
>>Warp 4 or NT4WS client) that an operation on that share (eg. a
>>directory listing) will take several seconds to complete. After that,
>>operations will again be responsive until the share is once again left
>>idle for a long period. I'm not sure how long it takes to become slow
>>again.
>
>This looks like you have set up "dead time" in smb.conf with something not
>equalling zero. Samba disconncts the client after "dead time" minutes from the
>share (only when no files are open on the share) and the client later has to
>reconnect.

Just checked, and deadtime (as documented in "man smb.conf") isn't in
there. According to the man page, it defaults to zero (ie. no deadtime
checking). Could smbd have been compiled with some non-zero default?
How would I determine this? (debug level?) Meanwhile, I'll try
explicitly setting it to zero.

Ken
mailto:shiva at well.com
http://www.well.com/user/shiva/