Slow initial response on idle share

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Thu Feb 25 23:07:44 GMT 1999

Kenneth,

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 21:51:35 +1100, Kenneth Porter wrote:

>>>I've noticed that when a mapped drive is left idle for awhile (OS/2
>>>Warp 4 or NT4WS client) that an operation on that share (eg. a
>>>directory listing) will take several seconds to complete. After that,
>>>operations will again be responsive until the share is once again left
>>>idle for a long period. I'm not sure how long it takes to become slow
>>>again.
>>
>>This looks like you have set up "dead time" in smb.conf with something not
>>equalling zero. Samba disconncts the client after "dead time" minutes from the
>>share (only when no files are open on the share) and the client later has to
>>reconnect.
>
>Just checked, and deadtime (as documented in "man smb.conf") isn't in
>there. According to the man page, it defaults to zero (ie. no deadtime
>checking). Could smbd have been compiled with some non-zero default?
>How would I determine this?

Run testparm, it will tell you.

Just to go somewhat further into details: Can you try to run smbstatus before
doing the first operation you expect to respond slowly? Do you see your share
being connected? Afterwards?

Hasta la vista,
               Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Radio Bornheim - 2:2461/332 at fidonet +49-69-4930830  (ZyX, V34)
                 2:2461/326 at fidonet +49-69-94414444 (ISDN X.75)