different subnets

Carey F. Cox carey at tabasco.lamar.edu
Wed Feb 24 18:54:18 GMT 1999

Our new samba file server has been assigned an ip address on a
different subnet (designated sub1) than our Win95 boxes (designated
sub2). From my understanding of Blair's book, this will not work
unless there is another samba server on the Win95 subnet.
Is this correct?

Also, Our department occupies at most about 40 addresses on this
subnet, sub2. What if there are other NT domain servers that are not
apart of our workgroup? How does that affect using our Samba box as
a domain logon, master domain, etc.?

Sorry if these questions are too basic, but I find Windows networking
very confusing.

<>   Carey F. Cox, PhD             |  PHONE: (409) 880-8770           <>
<>   Assistant Professor           |  FAX:   (409) 880-8121           <>
<>   Dept. of Mech. Eng.           |  EMAIL: carey at tabasco.lamar.edu  <>
<>   Lamar University              |  WEB:   N/A                      <>