SAMBA digest 2359

THB Samara branch thbsamara at mail.radiant.ru
Thu Dec 30 09:44:58 GMT 1999

Hello Samba,

четверг, 30 Декабрь 99, you wrote:

sso>                             SAMBA Digest 2359

sso> Topics covered in this issue include:

sso>   1) Re: Unix .TXT vs DOS .TXT files
sso>         by   Gerry Creager N5JXS <gerry at cs.tamu.edu>
sso>   2) Switching user share on NT and smbd spawning
sso>         by   Subba Rao <subb3 at attglobal.net>
sso>   3) Erronous disk full message
sso>         by   Rune Mossige <Rune.Mossige at waii.com>
sso>   4) Config problem: setreuid / seteuid on IRIX and Tru64 UNIX
sso>         by   "Orndorff, Andrew <NHTSA>" <Andrew.Orndorff at nhtsa.dot.gov>
sso>   5) Consultant services Required
sso>         by   "David J. Streb" <dstreb at mtech.mec.edu>
sso>   6) Unix TXT vs. DOS TXT
sso>         by   Edward Schernau <ed at schernau.com>
sso>   7) How to improve Samba write performance?
sso>         by   "Steve Snyder" <swsnyder at home.com>
sso>   8) smbfs problems in 2.0.6
sso>         by   "Keith G. Murphy" <keithmur at mindspring.com>
sso>   9) cp --recursive
sso>         by   Pedro Fradique da Silva <fradique at ipimar.pt>
sso>  10) Re: cp --recursive
sso>         by   Travis Low <tlow at knowledgeplanet.com>
sso>  11) Re: cp --recursive
sso>         by   Nicholas Tang <ntang at rga.com>
sso>  12) Re: Unix .TXT vs DOS .TXT files
sso>         by   Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
sso>  13) Got samba (almost) working...
sso>         by   Justin Rains <jrains at wsicnslt.com>
sso>  14) Re: One  NT & Unix Password
sso>         by   Giulio Orsero <giulioo at pobox.com>
sso>  15) Re: Directory rename problem with smbclient
sso>         by   Giulio Orsero <giulioo at pobox.com>
sso>  16) Running Linux/Samba File Server on Novell Network
sso>         by   naughton at domino.danielwoodhead.com

sso> ----------------------------------------------------------------------

sso> Date:   Wed, 29 Dec 1999 02:22:34 -0600
sso> From:   Gerry Creager N5JXS <gerry at cs.tamu.edu>
sso> To:     samba at samba.org
sso> Subject: Re: Unix .TXT vs DOS .TXT files
sso> Message-ID: <3869C4CA.B09518F3 at cs.tamu.edu>
sso> MIME-Version: 1.0
sso> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
sso> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

sso> There's a cute little utility called 'unix2dos' that you should be able
sso> to find with any search engine, but, the solution is buried in your NT
sso> installation:  Instead of opening these files with Notepad, open them
sso> with Wordpad.  It works appropriately.  Just dereference the .TXT files
sso> from Notepad and reference to Wordpad, and you'll not be bothered by
sso> this.
sso> --
sso> Gerry Creager                     Mapping Sciences Laboratory
sso> 409.845.7201 Office               Texas Agricultural Experiment Station
sso> 409.845.2273 Fax                  Texas A&M University System
sso> 409.228.7686 Pager (preferred)    College Station, Texas 77843-2120
sso> gerry at page4.tamu.edu              Pager: 4092287686 at mobile.att.net
sso> "Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily represent those of
sso> Texas A&M University."

sso> ------------------------------

sso> Date:   Wed, 29 Dec 1999 06:07:36 -0500
sso> From:   Subba Rao <subb3 at attglobal.net>
sso> To:     Samba Users <samba at samba.org>
sso> Subject: Switching user share on NT and smbd spawning
sso> Message-ID: <19991229060736.C2742 at attglobal.net>
sso> Mime-Version: 1.0
sso> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

sso> Is there anyway to logon to a different user's share, while still remaining
sso> in the same NT user account? When I try to logon to another share (root's share),
sso> the message box I get back is "Invalid handle".

sso> Currently, the only solution seems to be stopping and restarting smbd and nmbd.

sso> One other strange thing, is that there are 2 instances of smbd running. What causes
sso> spawning of smbd?

sso> Subba Rao
sso> subb3 at attglobal.net
sso> http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

sso>  => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
sso> http://www.smcinnovations.com

sso> ------------------------------

sso> Date:   Wed, 29 Dec 1999 14:24:28 +0100
sso> From:   Rune Mossige <Rune.Mossige at waii.com>
sso> To:     samba at samba.org
sso> Subject: Erronous disk full message
sso> Message-ID: <199912291324.OAA67132 at svs04.norway.waii.com>

sso> Have anyone else seen messages generated from MS apps saying:

sso> 'An error was encountered writing the file' and then get the normal
sso> 'Retry', 'Cancel' and 'Help' boxes.

sso> Pressing help only show the usual vague message:
sso> 'You are attempting to save a file on a disk that is full'

sso> There are lots of space, and the only odd thing is that it
sso> is another UNIX user that own the file (with mode 666).

sso> If I, as root, change owner of the file, then the user can save
sso> his work.

sso> Do anyone know of a workaround? Any other tools I can use to
sso> try and track this down? I have tried with debug level 10, but'
sso> could not spot anything.

sso> Regards,
sso> rune.

sso> ------------------------------

sso> Date:   29 Dec 1999 08:49:39 -0500
sso> From:   "Orndorff, Andrew <NHTSA>" <Andrew.Orndorff at nhtsa.dot.gov>
sso> To:     samba at samba.org
sso> Subject: Config problem: setreuid / seteuid on IRIX and Tru64 UNIX
sso> Message-ID:         <386A1087.66CE.1161.000*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=gov+dot/o=nhtsa/s=Orndorff/g=Andrew/@MHS>
sso> Content-Identifier: 0706F386A117300B
sso> Content-Return: Allowed
sso> MIME-Version: 1.0
sso> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
sso> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8BIT
sso> Content-Disposition: inline

sso> Platform(s):

sso>  a) SGI Origin 200 ( 3-processor )
sso>   SGI IRIX 6.5.4
sso>   SGI MIPSPro C 7.3.1
sso>   Samba 2.0.6 / pre-3.0.0

sso>   pre-3.0.0 configure statement:

sso>   CC="cc -n32 -xansi -OPT:Olimit=4096" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/samba -
sso> -with-quotas --with-syslog --without-smbwrapper --without-automount

sso>  b) Compaq AlphaServer 2100 4/275 ( 2-processor)
sso>   Compaq Tru64 UNIX 4.0D
sso>   Samba 2.0.6 / pre-3.0.0

sso>   pre-3.0.0 configure statement:

sso>   CC="cc -std -arch host -tune host -Olimit 4096" ./configure --prefix=/usr/lo
sso> cal/samba --with-quotas --with-syslog --without-smbwrapper --without-automount

sso> Problem Description:

sso> We recently upgraded to Samba 2.0.6 on our SGI Irix 6.5.4 and our Compaq Tru64
sso>  UNIX 4.0D boxes.
sso> While the smbd server seemed to start up properly, and join the local workgrou
sso> p, attempts to
sso> actually use the volume shares were less than stellar.

sso> On the IRIX box performance was painfully slow, and even with "nt acl support"
sso>  and "nt smb support"
sso> enabled we were unable to view or alter permissions on files or directories fr
sso> om an NT Workstation. Also,
sso> for some reason the [homes] share was not working properly, even though we del
sso> eted it and
sso> recreated it, and even tried setting the path to be "/home/%u".

sso> On the Tru64 UNIX servers smbd would generate a core dump when an NTWS user wa
sso> s attempting
sso> to browse the volume shares, and the user would receive an error from Windows
sso> NT Explorer when
sso> attempting to view the security attributes of a file or directory ("Invalid ha
sso> ndle").

sso> Since we had seen some other errors related to shared memory issues we obtaine
sso> d and installed Samba pre-3.0.0 (which
sso> uses its own database instead of shared memory). Same problems, just without t
sso> he shared memory errors.

sso> Some exploration of the source/include/config.h file revealed that the setreui
sso> d() call was being used on both platforms. From
sso> previous experience we have observed that some software that uses setreuid() d
sso> oes not work properly until a call to
sso> seteuid() is substituted.

sso>  Temporary Solution:

sso> Since there did not seem to be any way to force the configure script in Samba
sso> pre-3.0.0 to select seteuid over setreuid
sso> we made temporary changes to the file source/include/config and changed the li
sso> nes

sso> /*  undef USE_SETEUID */
sso>  define USE_SETREUID 1

sso> to

sso>  define USE_SETEUID 1
sso> /*  undef USE_SETREUID */

sso> We then rebuilt and reinstalled the pre-3.0.0 server.

sso> The result has been that performance is very much improved, we are able to use
sso>  the NT specific SMB protocol support, users can view or alter the security at
sso> tributes on files and directories that they own, and we have no shared memory
sso> problems.

sso> I have noted that the AIX platform seems to have similar issues. It would seem
sso>  that the same may be true for IRIX and Tru64 UNIX.

sso> Andrew Orndorff

sso> Andrew R. Orndorff
sso> Technical Support Manager
sso> NHTSA R&D Data Center

sso> U.S. Dept. of Transportation
sso> NHTSA / NRD-10
sso> 400 7th Street, SW, Rm. 2403
sso> Washington, DC 20590

sso> Phone: 202.366.8827
sso> FAX: 202.366.3986

sso> E-mail: andrew.orndorff at nhtsa.dot.gov

sso> This message is not representative of the opinions,
sso> practices, or policies of ISSI, the National Highway
sso> Traffic Safety Administration or any office thereof, or the
sso> U.S. Department of Transportation.

sso> ------------------------------

sso> Date:   Wed, 29 Dec 1999 09:00:08 -0600
sso> From:   "David J. Streb" <dstreb at mtech.mec.edu>
sso> To:     "'samba at samba.org'" <samba at samba.org>
sso> Subject: Consultant services Required
sso> Message-ID: <65227E8AF2B4D111AE970060089BEE8E02FD26 at FITCH01>
sso> MIME-Version: 1.0
sso> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
sso> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

sso> The City of Fitchburg, Massachusetts is seeking a consultant to assist the
sso> city as needed in the operation and configuration of its Samba servers,
sso> including performance issues, support of a MS Access-based application,
sso> Geographic Information System data sharing and printer support.  Successful
sso> candidates will have experience with Samba on Sun Solaris in a
sso> Windows-centric network supporting file and print serving, and be
sso> immediately available.  Please respond with descriptions of relevant
sso> experience, availability and compensation requirements to
sso> dstreb at ci.fitchburg.ma.us  or phone 978-345-1018.  Deadline for response is
sso> January 7, 2000.

sso> David J.
sso> Streb   dstreb at ci.fitchburg.ma.us       http://www.net1plus.com/users/fitchburg

sso> ------------------------------

sso> Date:   Wed, 29 Dec 1999 10:57:23 -0500
sso> From:   Edward Schernau <ed at schernau.com>
sso> To:     samba at samba.org
sso> Subject: Unix TXT vs. DOS TXT
sso> Message-ID: <386A2F63.5E1570B2 at schernau.com>
sso> MIME-Version: 1.0
sso> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
sso> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

sso> Actually, SCO's VisionFS _does_ perform CR<->CR/LF conversion.  What
sso> algorithm it uses, I don't know... never really played with it, but
sso> I've seen SCO crowing about it.

sso> --
sso> Edward Schernau                         http://www.schernau.com
sso> Network Architect                       mailto:ed at schernau.com
sso> Rational Computing                      Providence, RI, USA

sso> ------------------------------

sso> Date:   Wed, 29 Dec 1999 10:30:50 -0500 (EST)
sso> From:   "Steve Snyder" <swsnyder at home.com>
sso> Subject: How to improve Samba write performance?
sso> Message-ID: <19991229153048.WGGP2410.mail.rdc1.il.home.com at mercury.snydernet.lan>
sso> MIME-Version: 1.0
sso> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
sso> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

sso> I recently sent the message below to this list, hoping I could get
sso> advise on improving Samba (v2.0.6) write performance from an OS/2
sso> client (I got no responses).

sso> I subsequently ran the same tests from a Linux client using smbmount,
sso> also v2.0.6, and got the same results.  The hardware config of the
sso> Linux client is the same as the OS/2 client below.  Obviously, the
sso> problem is not Samba<-->OS/2 interaction, but just the Samba server.
sso> (I also have Win98 clients but don't have a suitable utility to time
sso> their Samba I/O performance.)

sso> I'm satisfied with the read performance of my Samba server, but would
sso> like to improve on the writing.  There's obviously something wrong
sso> when writing a file via Samba is 4 times slower than ftp'ing it.

sso> Any write-specific advice?  Thank you.

sso> ==================BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE==================

sso> I've got a couple problems with Samba<-->OS/2 communications.  First,
sso> though, here's my environment:

sso> Samba machine:
sso>   Celeron/400 /w 256MB of RAM
sso>   IDE hard disks
sso>   100Mbps 3Com NIC
sso>   RedHat Linux v6.0 + all RH-released updates + kernel v2.2.13
sso>   Samba v2.0.6
sso>   filesystem: ext2, cache size: dynamic

sso> OS/2 machine:
sso>   Pentium 3/550 /w 256MB of RAM
sso>   SCSI hard disks
sso>   100Mbps 3Com NIC
sso>   OS/2 Warp /w latest FixPack applied
sso>   TCP/IP stack v4.0 /w updates applied
sso>   filesystem: HPFS386, cache size: 16MB

sso> And here are the global parameters from smb.conf:

sso>    interfaces = lo eth0
sso>    bind interfaces only = True
sso>    hosts allow = 127. 192.168.0.

sso>    netbios name = corona
sso>    name resolve order = hosts bcast
sso>    dns proxy = no

sso>    printcap name = /etc/printcap
sso>    load printers = yes
sso>    printing = lprng

sso>    max log size = 50
sso>    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

sso>    security = user
sso>    encrypt passwords = yes
sso>    smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
sso>    null passwords = yes

sso>    domain logons = yes
sso>    logon script = netlogon
sso>    logon path = /home/samba/netlogon

sso>    local master = yes
sso>    domain master = yes
sso>    os level = 33
sso>    preferred master = yes

sso>    client code page = 437
sso>    lock directory = /var/lock/samba

sso>    time server = yes
sso>    shared mem size = 524288
sso>    socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY

sso> 1.My first problem: write performance.  Here's some statistics in
sso> transferring a 10MB file between machines.  Note the disparity in
sso> writing a file to the Linux box from the OS/2 machine via Samba.  (I
sso> transferred the file several files, to load the disk caches, before
sso> getting these stats.) Alas, these values are all too consistent.

Samba -->> OS/2
sso>   ftp = 1.1 seconds
sso>   smb = 1.5 seconds

OS/2 -->> Samba
sso>   ftp = 1.2 seconds
sso>   smb = 6.0 seconds

sso> Any one have a clue why writing to a Samba share from OS/s takes 5 times
sso> as long as a ftp transfer to the same subdirectory on the Linux box??

sso> 2.  Why are there still extended attribute (EA) problem on Samba
sso> shares?  Here's a test: Open the OS/2 system editor (e.exe), write
sso> some text, and save the file as n:\testme.txt.  The attempt to save
sso> the file causes an error that the file cannot be written.  In fact the
sso> file *has* been written.  It is the writing of the EA for that file
sso> that causes the editor to choke.  If you Cancel that "Save As"
sso> operation you will see that the newly created text file is indeed on
sso> the specified Samba share.  What can I do to fix this EA problem?

sso> ===================END FORWARDED MESSAGE===================

sso> *** Steve Snyder ***

sso> ------------------------------

sso> Date:   Wed, 29 Dec 1999 10:32:49 -0600
sso> From:   "Keith G. Murphy" <keithmur at mindspring.com>
sso> Subject: smbfs problems in 2.0.6
sso> Message-ID: <386A37B1.563BA1EC at mindspring.com>
sso> MIME-Version: 1.0
sso> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
sso> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

sso> I continue to have the same problems in Samba 2.0.6 with smbfs that I
sso> was seeing in 2.0.5:

sso> (1) After a mount (mount -t smbfs etc.), the volume is often not yet
sso> fully mounted.  For instance, if I write a Perl script like:

sso> system('mount -t smbfs -o password=pwd //MACHINE/SHARE
sso> /mnt/machine_share');
sso> system('find /mnt/machine_share > find.out');

sso> the 'find' may not find any files beyond /mnt/machine_share (yet not
sso> return any errors), because the thing is not really there yet.  Right
sso> now, I'm putting a two-second sleep in between the mount and the find to
sso> avoid this problem.

sso> (2) The mount always returns success, since it doesn't even wait for the
sso> mount to complete properly.

sso> (3) After some period of time, the mount seems to "go away", such that
sso> 'df' shows a "Input/output error".

sso> This is all using Samba 2.0.6 on Linux 2.2.10, Debian Potato.

sso> Are these recognized as problems, will they be solved sometime, or is
sso> there a better way to handle scripting involving smbfs?  Perhaps no one
sso> else is seeing this because they don't do a lot of mounting on the fly?

sso> I should also mention that I saw none of this behavior with the old
sso> (non-Samba) smbfs.

sso> ------------------------------

sso> Date:   Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:38:34 +0000
sso> From:   Pedro Fradique da Silva <fradique at ipimar.pt>
sso> To:     Samba MList <samba at samba.anu.edu.au>
sso> Subject: cp --recursive
sso> Message-ID: <386A390A.E8B17525 at ipimar.pt>
sso> MIME-Version: 1.0
sso> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
sso> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

sso> Hi,
sso> I'm trying to copy several files froman NT4 to Linux using
sso> "smbmount //winnt/dados /mnt/tmp -o username=foo,password=bar"
sso> and then "cp -R *.mdb /home".
sso> This is one of my backup steps.
sso> The problem is it won't go recursive. It just copies the files on the
sso> first dir.
sso> I'm using Samba 2.0.6 connecting to NT4 SP3.
sso> Is this a known bug/feature?
sso> Can anyone try this, please?
sso> Thanks,
sso> Pedro.

sso> ------------------------------

sso> Date:   Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:54:48 +0000
sso> From:   Travis Low <tlow at knowledgeplanet.com>
sso> To:     fradique at ipimar.pt
sso> Subject: Re: cp --recursive
sso> Message-ID: <386A3CD8.658A674A at knowledgeplanet.com>

sso> Pedro Fradique da Silva wrote:
>> I'm trying to copy several files froman NT4 to Linux using
>> "smbmount //winnt/dados /mnt/tmp -o username=foo,password=bar"
>> and then "cp -R *.mdb /home".
>> This is one of my backup steps.
>> The problem is it won't go recursive. It just copies the files on the
>> first dir.

sso> Do you have directories named "*.mdb" ?  If not, then the cp is working
sso> correctly.  Sounds like you want something more like:

sso>   find /mnt/tmp -name '*.mdb' -exec cp {} /home

sso> --
sso> Travis Low -- tlow at knowledgeplanet.com
sso> 11490 Commerce Park Drive, Suite 400, Reston VA 20191-1523
sso> +1 703 262 6616 (direct)  +1 703 716 0237 (fax)
sso> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sso> "If you do that, Griffin will really freak off his doodle!"  --Tiernan Low

sso> ------------------------------

sso> Date:   Wed, 29 Dec 1999 12:47:32 -0500
sso> From:   Nicholas Tang <ntang at rga.com>
sso> To:     Travis Low <tlow at knowledgeplanet.com>
sso> Subject: Re: cp --recursive
sso> Message-ID: <Pine.SGI.4.21.9912291236131.12359-100000 at io.ny.rga.com>

sso> On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Travis Low wrote:

>> Do you have directories named "*.mdb" ?  If not, then the cp is working
>> correctly.  Sounds like you want something more like:
>>
>>   find /mnt/tmp -name '*.mdb' -exec cp {} /home

sso> Won't that will copy all of the files directly into /home?  I got the
sso> impression that's not what he wants.

sso> I'd just tar and untar the files from location to location.

sso> Maybe something like this:

sso> cd /home
sso> tar -cplf - `find /tmp/mnt -name *.mdb -print` | tar -xf -

sso> (I'll freely admit my tar'ing skills are limited at best so that might not
sso> work, but you get the idea.)

sso> Nicholas

sso> ======================================================================
sso> Nicholas Tang     Senior System Administrator     R/GA Digital Studios
sso> ntang at rga.com       (212) 946-4224 (voice)        (212) 946-4010 (fax)
sso> ======================================================================

sso> ------------------------------

sso> Date:   Wed, 29 Dec 1999 13:05:06 -0500
sso> From:   Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
sso> To:     samba at samba.org
sso> Subject: Re: Unix .TXT vs DOS .TXT files
sso> Message-ID: <3.0.6.32.19991229130506.009b06d0 at pop.pacificnet.net>
sso> Mime-Version: 1.0
sso> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

sso> Subba,

sso> Samba itself doesn't do translation, thank goodness.

sso> Your best solution depends on what you're doing with the translation. For
sso> instance, you might be building a website in-place to be displayed via
sso> http. In that case you'd need to remove the ^M chars and also get the
sso> capitalization of files to match their links. That's best done with a
sso> script that traverses the website tree. The script would have as its heart
sso> something like this:

sso> cat $1 | tr -d "\r" > $1

sso> Obviously, such a script must convert only text files such as .html, .cgi,
sso> etc.

sso> You could conceivably put such a script in a pseudo printer print command
sso> to convert single files on the fly, but that's kind of involved given that
sso> you'll need to define the destination directory.

sso> The other possibility is simultaneous use of text files from both Unix and
sso> Windows. That's an editor issue. Wordpad and many other editors can handle
sso> it. You can download vim from vim.org and use the same editor on both Unix,
sso> DOS and Windows. In VI, you simply do the proper :set fileformat= and then
sso> save.

sso> Hope this helps.

sso> Steve Litt

sso> At 12:56 PM 12/29/1999 +1100, you wrote:

>>Is there any option that will covert a text file from one system
>>to the other? I have a few files on linux with extension TXT. There are
>>plain text files. On NT, TXT is associated with the "notepad" and opens
>>with the file as one long string. This is the typical CR/LF conversions
>>between Unix and DOS.
>>
>>Can Samba convert the text files based on the client?
>>
>>Subba Rao
>>subb3 at attglobal.net
>>http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/
>>
>> => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
>>http://www.smcinnovations.com

sso> ------------------------------

sso> Date:   Wed, 29 Dec 1999 13:42:20 -0500
sso> From:   Justin Rains <jrains at wsicnslt.com>
sso> To:     samba at samba.org
sso> Subject: Got samba (almost) working...
sso> Message-ID: <3.0.6.32.19991229134220.0092ce30 at wsicnslt.com>
sso> Mime-Version: 1.0
sso> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

sso>         Well, I finally got Samba somewhat working. Now I can connect the mapped
sso> drives but I have to do them each time I login.. And another problem I have
sso> is I get the error that says something about the server not accepting long
sso> filenames.. How do I make it accept them? It did in the previous version I
sso> had and I don't remember doing anything special.. One more problem.. Our
sso> Win98 machine can't access the shares at all.. It says something about bad
sso> password.. Is there someplace I need to look for information on sharing
sso> resources and Windows 98? Thanks for any help!

sso> Justin

sso> ------------------------------

sso> Date:   Wed, 29 Dec 1999 19:45:08 +0100
sso> From:   Giulio Orsero <giulioo at pobox.com>
sso> To:     Multiple recipients of list SAMBA <samba at samba.org>
sso> Subject: Re: One  NT & Unix Password
sso> Message-ID: <19991229184602.3025926E6A at i3.golden.dom>

sso> On Wed, 29 Dec 1999 02:02:03 +1100, hai scritto:

>>AIX host also runs other applications that require telnet login.  I would
>>like to stream line the password policy process (i.e.. only one password for
>>NT/Win98 and Unix logins without the user having to do separate processes to
>>change passwords).  I understand that the PDC functionality in samba
>>requires a separate password file rather than the native Unix host password
>>(back to 2 password processes).
>>Has anybody accomplished this?  Are there any third party applications that
>>bridge NT & Unix passwords?  Please feel free to clear up any confusion that
>>I might have stated about Samba PDC and passwords.

sso> If samba is PDC you can use password-sync to keep /etc/passwd in sync
sso> with smbpasswd. If samba is in security=domain, I'm not sure if you can
sso> do the same.
sso> If your login/telnet program is pam-aware then you can usa pam-ntdom to
sso> have login/telnet authenticate against the NT server, thus having just
sso> one passwd database (never tried it myself though).

sso> --
sso> giulioo at pobox.com

sso> ------------------------------

sso> Date:   Wed, 29 Dec 1999 19:42:15 +0100
sso> From:   Giulio Orsero <giulioo at pobox.com>
sso> To:     Multiple recipients of list SAMBA <samba at samba.org>
sso> Subject: Re: Directory rename problem with smbclient
sso> Message-ID: <19991229184309.017AB26E69 at i3.golden.dom>

sso> On Wed, 29 Dec 1999 05:19:26 +1100, hai scritto:

>>I am trying to use smbclient to migrate data from OS/2 LanServers to a
>>filesystem on an AIX 4.3.1 machine.  Everything works great except renaming
>>directories on the OS/2 LanServer.  I get the error ERRDOS - ERRbadfile

>>Oh, I am using the smbclient from Samba 2.0.6, but I have also tried other
>>versions of smbclient back to 1.9.18 patch 3 with the same results.

sso> I have a win98 pc.
sso> If I connect to it from smbclient2.0.6 I have the same error.
sso> If I connect to it from smbclient1.9.18p10 it's ok.

sso> --
sso> giulioo at pobox.com

sso> ------------------------------

sso> Date:   Wed, 29 Dec 1999 14:53:13 -0600
sso> From:   naughton at domino.danielwoodhead.com
sso> To:     samba at samba.org
sso> Subject: Running Linux/Samba File Server on Novell Network
sso> Message-ID: <86256856.00719020.00 at domino.danielwoodhead.com>
sso> Mime-Version: 1.0
sso> Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

sso> I am trying to set up a department file server.  The Samba/Linux
sso> combination is what I am most familiar with.  We are currently running a NT
sso> workgroup, no PDC, Novell netware clients, on a Novell network.  I have set
sso> up Samba file servers before, but only on an NT server network.  I just
sso> need to know if this will simply show up in the network neighborhood, and
sso> our group can map drives, etc.  Our user authentication in through Novell,
sso> and the NT stations have to be set up for each user (no PDC).  Will there
sso> be any problems seeing the Samba server on the network from NT, (will IPX
sso> and SMB peacefully coexist).

sso> Lastly, how could I run the Samba server as a PDC to eliminate having to
sso> setup each machine for every user, am I looking at big problems with the
sso> Novell server.  Most of the mailing lists info I have seen says to dump the
sso> Novell server entirely, but I don't manage that one, and that's a little
sso> more than I had in mind.

sso> Thanks

sso> Dan Naughton

sso> End of SAMBA Digest 2359

See IPX Howto - all of things are very simple. I've installed only
ncpfs client on Linux - no any serious problems.

Best regards,
 Thb                            mailto:thbsamara at mail.radiant.ru