bind failed on port 137

Fein, Aaron P. aaron.fein at nist.gov
Fri Dec 10 21:02:10 GMT 1999

I checked port 137 with netstat -an and port 137 was listed as

udp    0    0  *.137       *.*

Port 137 does not even show up if I omit the -a, so this seems to imply that
it is "passive", as opposed to "active". I'm trying to figure out what
"passive" means, is it anything more than the fact that it is listed in
/etc/services?

Any other ideas?

TIA,
Aaron